Orange is the New Black by Piper Kerman

Orange Is the New Black - Piper Kerman

I was not wearing a happy face while reading this. You know why? Because I did not want to read this book! But, one of the ladies in book club picked it. (Let me just say right here, that I am the youngest person in this book club at 42, and I don't mean by a couple years. I'm like 20 to 30 years younger than the woman.  So I'd love to know which of them picked this book.)

See usually I'd skip a book I didn't want to read, but the librarian who is in charge of book club was going on vacation and she asked me to be in charge this month. WAY before  I knew what book it was I happily agreed. The next week she handed me this book and I know I had the look of "you have to be f*ckin kidding me" on my face.

So I've read the book and can count it as one more book I read this year. whatever.

Now on to the book. It was okay. It did feel like the pages were multiplying and I'd never finish it. (which meant I would have to do a lot of listening at book club and not leading the questions) But I did finish it and here are my thoughts:

I didn't care for Piper. I'm sorry, you knew what you were doing was wrong and you didn't care.  So you had to pay the consequences. So yes I can see how you'd want everyone to feel bad and how you brought attention to the fact that most of the incarcerated were nonviolent offenders and they shouldn't have to be in jail. Because YOU were one of them.

This would have had a better impact on me if this was a 20/20 episode with a behind the scenes than Piper telling the story.

I've always agreed that putting people in prison with out some form of "correction"/"rehabilitation" was stupid. How do you expect people to go to a different life when you don't show them HOW to do it?!

I feel like I could go on and on about stuff that Piper did that just rubbed me the wrong way, but I don't feel like spending any more time on this .