A Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay

A Head Full of Ghosts: A Novel - Paul Tremblay

I'm gonna begin by telling you some of the movies ,books and TV shows that were mentioned in this book :

The Exorcist

The Last Exorcism

Ringu

The Haunting

The Haunting of Hill House

The mention of Lovecraft ("Chthulu for all my friends!" I don't know what that means I just quoted it from the book)

Despair

Law and Order

The Castle of Otranto

Wuthering Heights

House of Leaves

The Yellow Wallpaper - **which will be spoiled if you have not already read it!

Star Trek

John Carpenter's The Thing - I loved the reference because the scene she talks about is one of my favorites and scary as shit. The blood-test scene!

BUT, maybe the scariest reference in the story was

Richard Scarry's CARS and TRUCKS and THINGS THAT GO

why?

Because I actually have this book sitting here next to my desk.

photo book2g_zpsw7zlbqlq.jpg

I've had it for years. I had taken it out for my youngest son. He fell in love with it and, I'm embarrassed to say this...I never brought it back to the library. Instead and went to the library and fibbed that I lost the book and just paid for it. My son REALLY loved this book. (and I loved finding gold bug too!)

So now that I've made a small list for you I guess I can talk about the story itself.

hmm... This isn't one of those really creepy not gonna sleep after you read it books. It may have started like that. The whole eating spaghetti and it vomiting back out of her mouth on to the plate

"It just poured out of her as though her mouth was an opened faucet. The vomit was as green as spring grass, and the masticated pasta looked weirdly dry, with a consistency of mashed-up dog food."

and then her scurrying up the stairs on all 4 was the best part. After that the story gets caught up in something else.

in between chapters where Merry talks you read a blog posts by "Karen Brissette"

She's talking about the show "The possession" breaking it down frame by frame and giving her insights on what was really going on.

At time she's too sarcastic and I started hating these parts, but then I looked forward to seeing if she was going to reference and more movies that I loved.

it all comes together at the end.

Was I happy about the end? I'm not sure. I'd love to know if the author was implying

that Merry was the one possessed. or maybe when everyone died she became possessed. was it really possession, was it mental illness?

(show spoiler)

Other stuff mentioned in the book :

The 1919 molasses flood in Boston

"Gloomy Sunday"also known as the Hungarian Suicide Song-by Rezs┼Ĺ Seress

I'd love to hear which of the movies & books mentioned above was your favorite