How It Ends - Laura Wiess This book has sat on my bookshelf for a long time. I'd gotten it at Books a Million for a dollar, thinking it looked interesting. I finally took it off the shelf (because I'm between library books) and started reading the first chapter wondering if I could maybe read it soon. Well soon turned into RIGHT NOW. I honestly did not want to put it down from the very first chapter. Not a lot of books do that to me.
This isn't just a young adult novel about Hanna. It's a novel about Hanna & her elderly neighbor Helen, her "gran". Helen sees Hanna grow, from being a small child to a teenager who no longer thinks it's cool to hang out with her. The book is written from both POV. So you see the hurt from Helen and the very much teenager attitude from Hanna.(So many times I felt like screaming, Open your eyes Hanna, he's an *ss!)
What makes this book so good is that it's just not one story, but two. The story your reading and then the story Hannah & Helen listen to on an audio book called "How It Ends".
There are so many issues being touched on in this book I could go on and on about. So many important ones. I bet this book would be go for a group discussion. It's heart wrenching & full of love and one that made me stay up until 3am two days in a row.

"I don't know how you say good-bye to whom and what you love. I don't know a painless way to do it, don't know the words to capture a heart so full and a longing so intense."

Photobucket