SPOILER ALERT!

More Than This

More Than This - Patrick Ness

This book was odd. I picked it up thinking, oh cool this will be about the in between,Something like Shusterman's Skinjacker Series. Wrong! While it starts off like that it turns into a different story. Going in a totally different direction that I wasn't even thinking about. So you have this new story line and as soon as you get comfortable with it, well I don't know if I was comfortable with it, I think I was questioning it as much as the character "Seth" was....anyways it changes again at the end. I think it was suppose to have this big impact on me, but It didn't. Important quotes that give you the point of the story:

"Real life is only ever just real life. Messy. What it means depends on how you look at it. The only thing you've got to do is find a way to live there."

At one point Seth talks about how he thought everything had turned to sh*t. He was so down that he couldn't recognize the good, because it didn't fit with the feeling he had dragged all around him like a blanket. How could everything else be crappy, but then you see a small goodness? He couldn't. We do this with depression, people do this right before they commit suicide. Seth sees this and wants MORE. There is a part in this book that had me crying. It's not about suicide. it's about a mother's love & grief for a child. Out of the whole book the feeling I got when reading those five pages will be what I remember. I also feel the book had a little lesson about how

We as a society pull away from the real world when things get bad. We'd rather live in this "online" world where everything is "better" the way we want it to be

(show spoiler)

The last chapter had me thinking it was gonna end like I Am the Messenger. Well maybe that was the point, maybe Patrick Ness is speaking to all of us about life. After all that, I just can't give this book more then 3 stars. I felt all the changes in the story were odd.

photo twogreenR.jpg photo greenhalf.jpg