The Dog Stars

The Dog Stars - Peter Heller

Not what I was expecting, which was a book similar to the road. This one is more..I don't know, I think someone called it lyrical? Instead of feeling like a story it felt like It was some English class story/poem I had to read.

Look at the pages of the book. See how they're all ragged, old looking, uneven. Well the writing itself is kinda like that in my mind. Instead of telling it in chapters, it felt like every paragraph could have been it's own little chapter. Here's some stuff from the book that sums it up. (in my little head)

"A telephone line goes cold:

birds tread it wherever it goes.

A farm back of a great plain

tugs an end of the line.

I call that farm every year,

ringing it, listening, still"

~ The Farm on the Great Plains

"I lift my head from the pillow

I see the frost the moon.

Lowering my head I think of home."

"We have traveled.

Now you will be the path

I will walk I will walk

Over you."

"When you walk forward you propel it forward. When you let go the sled and sit on a fallen log and. You imagine him curling beside you in the one patch of sun maybe lying over your feet. Not feeling so well. Then it sits with you, the Pain puts its arm over your shoulders. It is your closest friend. Steadfast. And at night you can't bear to hear your own breath unaccompanied by another and underneath the big stillness like a score is the roaring of the cataract of everything being and being torn away. Then. The Pain is lying beside your side, close. Does not bother you with the sound even of breathing."

At the very end he quotes a poem by Li Shang Yin

"When Will I Be Home?

When will I be home? I don't know.

In the mountains, in the rainy night,

The autumn lake is flooded.

Someday we will be back together again.

We will sit in the candlelight by the west window,

And I will tell you how I remembered you

Tonight on the stormy mountain."

I don't know, at moments I liked it and at other times, for example when he was describing a woman and sex, I was like come on...this seems like a man book.

Photobucket