Making Faces by Amy Harmon

Making Faces - Amy Harmon

After seeing all these positive reviews for this book I finally decided to read it.

I've been on this kick of reading stuff with wounded Heroes (If I Lie, Something Like Normal,  Fighting Redemption) so yes, this fit right in.

I think it's labeled New Young Adult, but it didn't read like other NYA books. For one, sex wasn't the main thing. In fact, there wasn't any sex scene in the book. Lately NYA means erotica but the characters are under 23, so this was a nice surprise. It was on emotions and friendships and the bond of friendship. It made me smile with happiness and cry for losses. This story is more then just Ambrose & Fern. It's about Fern & Bailey.

I can't say I was happy with everything in the book, like I wasn't sure if

all the boys would actually be in the same platoon(?) or not, what are the odds that Bailey would fall in a ditch and drown, I felt that was a undignified death for Bailey and it really bothered me. I know he was a hero, but it just felt wrong. Becker getting away that night at the hospital.

(show spoiler)

"Do you remember your last step?" Fern asked softly, not savvy enough at eleven to avoid direct questions that might be painful to answer.

"No. I don't. I would write it in my journal if I did. But I don't know."

"I bet your mom wishes she could put it in your baby book. She wrote down your first step, didn't she? She probably wishes she could write down your last."

"She probably thought there would be more." Bailey gulped and Fern could tell he was trying not to cry. "I thought there would be more. But I guess I used them all up."

“There isn't heartache if there hasn't been joy. I wouldn't feel loss if there hadn't been love.”

I'll hide this quote in a spoiler tag:

"Beautiful Spider?" Ambrose said softly, just beyond her left shoulder, and Fern smiled, amazed that he remembered.

"Beautiful Sheen. Beautiful Bailey Sheen. That's how I'll always remember him."

(show spoiler)

Overall a good read that will tug at your heartstrings. I think Bailey's character and situation did a lot of the tugging for me because I'm a mom of 2 boys. and I found myself wondering what if Bailey was my child?

Anyways, yes you should read it, but be prepared to cry a little.